What is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry trains FBG members to provide one-to-one distinctively Christian care to individuals who are currently experiencing life difficulties.
What is a Stephen Minister?
- A church member with gifts for caregiving, who was carefully selected and trained to serve in this role.
- A fellow Christian who listens, cares, prays, supports and encourages.
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long there’s a need.
In what situations can a Stephen Minister help?
We all experience challenges in life—times when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian. Stephen Ministers are ready to provide the care you need when faced with any difficulty or crisis, such as (but not limited to) the following:
- Life transition
- Stress related to child-rearing
- Stress related to caring for a loved one
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or job crisis
- Terminal or chronic illness
- Birth, adoption or infertility
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- Deployment of a loved one for military service
Steve's experience with his Stephen Minister
How do I find a Stephen Minister?
If you or someone you know could benefit from the care of a Stephen Minister, use the contact form below or call the church office at 512.869.2586. You can also use the form to ask any questions you may have about Stephen Ministry.
How do I become a Stephen Minister?
If you are interested in becoming a Stephen Minister, follow these steps:
- Complete and submit to the church office an application along with the results of a spiritual gifts survey (see below).
- Participate in an interview conducted by Stephen Ministry leaders.
- Complete 50 hours of training offered on the FBG Georgetown campus on Monday nights starting in January each year and ending in May.
If you have questions about becoming a Stephen Minister, use the contact form below or call the church office at 512.869.2586.
Kathy's experience serving in Stephen Ministry
Application and spiritual gifts inventory
- Click here for a copy of the Stephen Minister application.
- Click here to complete the Team Ministry Spiritual Gifts Survey.